The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Rant

It's been a while since I've gone on a good old-fashioned, Dennis Miller type rant, but there are two things which bother me which cannot go by silently.

First is an Italian station called Telecapri (that I have access to it illegally (on the net) is besides the point). It is ostensibly a sports channel, but they never show sports! What kills me is that when they are supposed to show a match (say, a Serie A match), they will not show the players on the field, instead focusing on the commentator. I'm not kidding!! What's up with that?

My second rant is directed towards an internet phenomenon many of you are probably familiar with, i.e., Facebook, which you cannot see if you are not signed up. Very briefly, t is a website that gives you your own "space" and allows you to add friends and put up pictures. I must say that after experimenting with it, it is incredibly puerile. I had people messaging me who haven't spoken to me in months asking "how it was going, etc." If you are really serious about talking to me, phone, email, or even MSN me!! Don't just leave a message on there pretending nothing happened, or that everything is cheeky.

In short, the site is an egregious waste of time. However, I do concede it has one benefit: looking up old friends and acquaintances in different countries you've lost touch with over the years.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like myspace.

it's fer the youngsters!

11:39 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Kinda like myspace, but I think the latter is more useful: you can do more.

BTW, many people on facebook are older than me, so there!

12:25 p.m.  
Blogger tedt said...

your facebook profile is very reminiscent of scarface...

1:20 p.m.  
Blogger RT said...

There's more to it than that, you know how Mark Warner went on Second Life to give a speech when he was considering running for president, it seems that these sites will be used as the next step in political campaigns in getting the message out and also business promotion. Crass but not surprising.

12:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home