The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Friday, December 29, 2006

'tis the season

Well, here I am in TO, getting ready to head off to Montreal tomorrow (Saturday). I will only be staying for about 2 days, returning sometime Monday evening. Have no idea what I'll be doing, but it beats going to a certain event, i.e., the most boring event in the universe (only one or two of you know what that is).

As I predicted, I'm fairly bored here in Toronto (thank goodness for a handful of friends). I'm not only bored but also lethargic. I have found some solace in reading bits of Erich Auerbach's magisterial Mimesis (again, an arcane reference). It is one of the most interesting works of literary criticism of the 20th century. It may appear old-fashioned at times, but it has an immortal, insightful quality that no sane reader can deny.

I was just reading his chapter on an episode from Gregory of Tours's History of the Franks. Though I haven't read the book (I'm aware of it), I was genuinely interested to see what Auerbach would say, so I kept reading. He is one of those few critics whom a reader genuinely cares to read; one actually really wants to see what he has to say. This is a quality shared by few critics indeed, Frye, for instance.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zelda said...

I think I would like to go to "the most boring event in the universe." Just to say I've been! (Kidding, because of course I don't know what you're talking about!).

Have a happy new year!

9:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home