The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Three Christmases

Well, I'm back in Toronto now. I'm not a huge fan of the city, but it's nice to see my family again and to eat proper meals. Boy was it a long term!
The first day of class is January 4, but I won't be returning to Ottawa until the 6th, which is our (Armenian) Christmas day. My family celebrates Christmas eve (January 5); it's one of the few traditions we take seriously.
Recently, I was speaking to my supervisor-to-be and a few of his colleagues over a pint of Belgian beer in Ottawa, and the topic of Armenian Christmas came up. He believed the date was January 6 because of the calendar change, but I was convinced it had a greater significance. I was right about one thing: the original date of Christmas for all Christians was indeed January 6. Very early on, the Pope changed the date from January 6 to December 25 in an effort to extirpate a popular pagan festival. Since the Armenians had no corresponding festival at that time, there was no need to change the date.
In the case of the Greek Christians (and later, Russian Orthodox), who celebrate Christmas one day late on January 7, it is merely a matter of calendar change. That their Christmas is one day after the Armenian one is mere coincidence.
I found a very informative article that discusses all this and a whole lot more. Enjoy.

I'm heading off to Montreal on December 30th with my younger sister. Montreal's a cool city, but it sucks that I have to travel there, back to Toronto, then back to Ottawa. I've really become, for the first time, the traveller.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are definitely living it up on the st lawrence.

your journeys should be chronicled 'pious labours' as you are labouring with piety.

10:24 p.m.  
Blogger tedt said...

Armenians in Jersalem celebrate Christmas on January 19, as they follow the Julian calendar.

you should tell you parents about this, so that way you can have a 4th christmas

10:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just realized who you were. i thought you might enjoy this.

http://www.zona-musical.com/postt24718.html

raffi

3:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home