The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Yes!

I finally found what I've been looking for all this time: Transformers Public Service Announcements: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/3442/

This one video contains, I believe, all the PSAs (note: these are not parodies like the famous GI Joe ones).

I just found this site today: you can watch the intros and other goodies from old shows/cartoon. For instance, I just watched the intro to Thundercats: great cartoon! Look around: you'll be surprised.

Watching those PSAs, I couldn't help but feel a little sad at the current state of things. When I was growing up, we had positive role models, even if they were cartoon characters or wrestlers (Hulk Hogan, for instance). At least one of the reasons kids are messed up these days is because they lack positive role models; they have no one to look up to. I mean, if Britney Spears and Paris Hilton are the current role models for children, are we expecting miracles?

Back to my paper, which looks at a dialogue between Roland Barthes and Emile Benveniste (if you haven't heard of either, especially the latter, don't worry). I just made a minor breakthrough with my essay, which was becoming stale and pointless.

2 Comments:

Blogger tedt said...

south park made a great show discussing little girls looking up to role models like paris hilton:

http://www.alluc.org/alluc/showmovie.php?uid=8794

10:02 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

yeah, I saw that episode: pretty funny. I love the part where the girl asks "who's Paris Hilton? What does she do"? And the response is invariable: "She's so cool." The girl keeps asking "What the hell does she do??"
Celebrities only exist to sell products.

10:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home