The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Piled Higher and Deeper Redux, and then some


I entered the Alumni Auditorium at the University of Ottawa at about 6:30 pm (EST), and the "lecture" by Jorge Cham, the creator of PhD Comics was already speaking, so I took my seat as unobtrusively as possible.

He began by stating why he had chosen U of Ottawa as a stop (it was his first time in Ontario), and he said he was impressed by the alumni, including Samantha Bee from the Daily Show (though I don't find her terribly funny) and Alex Trebek.

Mr. Cham spoke for about an hour, and it was a very amusing hour. He spoke about many things (grad school experience, the genesis and success of the comic, etc), but his theme was the "Power of Procrastination," which he had to translate into French, since he was in Ottawa, thus: Pouvoir du Procrastination.

I can't say the lecture changed my life, but I did laugh profusely and went away feeling just a little better about myself. During the Q & A, I asked him whether there were any projects in the future lined up, to which he asked, "like what"? I answered, somewhat facetiously, "a movie," which elicited laughter. He did, however, say that he will be working on a possible TV show, which is a far more appropriate medium.

In other news, I finally installed my webcam today, so those of you who for some reason want to see my (I'd recommend against it) can. For something I got for free, the quality isn't bad. I did have a little bit of trouble installing it. Isn't Windows XP supposed to be plug n play? Not sure whether this was Logitech's or Microsoft's blunder; my guess is it's the latter.

2 Comments:

Blogger tedt said...

where did you get your webcam for free?

can you get me one

9:22 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

There was an extra one lying around the house in TO, so my folks gave it to me (they're sure as hell not gonna use it).

9:50 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home