The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Friday, January 26, 2007

Boy oh boy

Just a quick note on the weather here.

Torontonians don't know cold weather. In fact, Toronto is the Florida of Canada. Let me illustrate this with an example:

The weather today in Ottawa is -19 (yep, -19 Celsius), and this is without windchill! With the windchill, it's a cool -27 degrees. The mercury has been about the same all week; it rarely gets warmer than -10 here in January.

The weather in Toronto today? -11, which is -17 with the windchill. So including windchill, Ottawa is about 10 degrees C colder (not just today, but in fact all week). People weren't kidding when they told me Ottawa was cold!

Interesting factoid: Ottawa is only the 7th coldest capital in the world. Which is the first, you ask? Not Reykjavik, not Moscow, but Ulanbataar, capital of Mongolia! the second coldest? the capital of Borat's nation, Kazakhstan.

Despite this, in the month of January, Ottawa is third coldest behind only Ulanbataar and Astana (Kazakhstan). Reykjavik (Iceland) is much, much warmer than I thought: average January temperature is around -1 or so, which is nothing here (it does slow a lot in Iceland).

You all have my blessing to use these interesting facts as icebreakers at your next cocktail party. Just make sure I'm not there saying the same thing!

3 Comments:

Blogger tedt said...

dude... everyone i know here says they know of you. what's up with that?

and a few more people at armeniafund usa have stolen your look. (http://piouslabours.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html)

4:24 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Beats me, Ted: I haven't been to NYC since i was a kid.

4:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

a friend of a friend told me about your website, and i felt like i was at home reading your uncanny use of deflections and grammer in the english language.

as such, it would be a great honour for me if you could read my own website, or, at your discretion, advertise my site.

my website is http://www.christrinidad.com/

with love,

CT

11:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home