The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Strange cunning

I received the following email in my inbox this morning. It looks like spam, but a kind of spam I've never seen before: spam personal ad:

I greet you!Sometimes the world seems so big and you feel like a grain of sandin a desert... The life seems so good and you have everything -friends, good job, parents who love you... The boss values you a lotand praises you, you have respect and everything... but there is onebig thing that your heart misses a lot... it's LOVE!!! I miss it somuch!!! I am here writing to you because I hope that maybe you'llnotice me and decide to reply... And if you wish we will do our bestthat the correspondence will grow into something bigger...I am looking forward to your reply http://loveonlyme.com/goodforloveLooking forward to get a note from you!Valya

Needless to say I've never met this person, nor have I subscribed to any personals web sites (seriously!). So I clicked on the link, and it looks genuine. I don't know what sense this makes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mailorder bride-to-be?

11:21 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Possibly

11:43 a.m.  
Blogger Rick said...

I'd hit it.

11:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's not genuine! It's Dating spam from Russia. Don't believe a word of it...

HERE'S SOME FURTHER DATA ABOUT THIS SPAMMER:

Steven Terrens. Hermax, NY 12005. USA
Phone: (+10)123-65987855
Mail: steven_terrens1@yahoo.com

THIS SPAMMER IS BEHIND OTHER SCAM-SITES. BEWARE OF THEM ALL:

datingforalonelys.com (created 22 Nov 2006)
loveonlyme.com (created 22 Nov 2006)
Registrar: THE NAME IT CORPORATION DBA NAMESERVICES.NET
DNS Servers: NS.INFORMTELECOM.RU and NS1.INFORMTELECOM.RU

HOW TO COMPLAIN:

Complain to the Registrar: support@aitdomains.com
Complain to Yahoo: help.yahoo.com/help/uk/mail/spam/spam-04.html
Forward mail (complete with full headers) to USA's spam-evidence database: spam@uce.gov
You can also report spam mail to: www.spamcop.net
Visit www.aboutus.org and leave a comment. Create a new entry if none exist.
Visit www.siteadvisor.com and leave a comment. Consider registering as reviever.

LEARN MORE ABOUT SPAM:

Anti-spam site: www.spam.abuse.net
Network Abuse Clearinghouse (abuse addresses): www.abuse.net
How to view full headers: www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html
Find Whois-information, where to report abuse, and much more at: dnsstuff.com
Anti spam - Stop harvesting of email addresses: www.testmyfirewall.com/antispam.html

regards Mads Dam, Copenhagen

1:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home