The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Rambler No. 157

I have certainly surfeited on soccer for the past few weeks. It's almost sad that the world cup, held only once every four years, is drawing to a close, but life must go on. My mind has become mush (more so) because of all the soccer. As a result I have been able to think of little else, but I have amazingly found a job during this time: I am to teach an essay writing/research class for four hours a week until the end of August. The company employing me is being rather casual, that is, I have not been told exactly what to do or what guidelines to follow except that I am expected to show up for each class on time. I've never taught a class, even though I have been told that I have the ability. Who knows, maybe this will be a profitable experience besides being a good job.

Re: the world cup, it is surprising that Brazil has been knocked out at this stage. Since 1994, they have reached the final. Their team this year was their best in years, even better than 1994. I'm told there were coaching problems. How do you lose a match with Kaka, Ronaldinho, Adriano and Carlos on your side? What's even more surprising is that France has played phenomenally well. This is the same team that couldn't score a goal in 2002, and had trouble with Korea and Switzerland.
Looks like one half of my prediction from one year ago turned out to be false: no Brazil, but I'm still hanging on to Italy, perhaps the only non-bandwagon team left in the tournament. I like them because I actually watch soccer when the cup isn't on, and Italy's domestic league is the most demanding in Europe, producing such great players as Totti, Toni, Perrotta, Pirlo, etc.

By the way, Beckham's resignation has come about 4 years too late. I simply can't believe people still like him even though he has never impressed, let alone shown absolutely no leadership. Good riddance. The captaincy should definitely go to a John Terry or, better yet, Stephen Gerrard, one of the few solid players the English team had this year.

I saw Superman Returns on the weekend. To put it simply, I'm still recovering from it. I never wanted to leave a movie worse in my life. Towards the end, I was about to cry because I was in excrutiating tedium. If you haven't seen it, don't. The movie has so many faults I don't even know where to begin: Acting, casting, length, editing, plot were all horrible.
And, just to let you know, I'm not a captious critic: I liked V is for Vendetta immensely, for example. I wonder what the customarily acrid and querulous Anthony Lane thought of this film. Is it possible to get a negative score?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, at least you are not selling nuclear water out of the back of your van... sheldon would not enjoy that comment

4:14 p.m.  
Blogger Dr J said...

You are, of course, not a captious critic. I am, and I never see you at any of the meetings.

4:36 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

anon: haha. Actually, I should be glad I'm not writing illegal chinese essays, a fate I would not wish upon my worst enemy.

J, touche. I guess I'm too tender to be in English, where most people now hate literature among other things :)

Incidentally, today went ok. The job maybe a bit disorganized, and I felt like Mohammed who, being illiterate, was enjoined to write by Gabriel (or something like that, anyway), but it is legit, and it may prove a worthwhile experience. I did also have to teach a grade 7 class, which I found out about 30 minutes before class started :)

7:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home