The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This just in...

Just a few thoughts and observations:

-For those who cannot get enough of our favourite off the wall preacher (see previous post), check these out: http://grouper.com/GlobalMedia/MediaDetails.aspx?id=705043 and http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2727479?refsite=7063&ns=1.

I haven't ranted in quite some time, but there are two things that really grind my gears.

First, Starbucks: I will rant on Starbucks some other time, but my Roman friend John made the following observation, when we accidentally stumbled in there and saw a woman ordering coffee (or whatever the hell it is that people buy there):

"Women who go to starbucks should have a sign that reads 'undatable'".

Now, this does not apply to every woman who has ever been to a Starbucks, but to ones who go there habitually. I think "starbucks woman" is a synonym of "high maintenance."

My friend made another witty and perspicacious observation in the same establishment: as we walked by the table with all the necessities of coffee (lids, creams, etc), we noticed various pamphlets about saving the rainforest or other such themes, to which my friend said

"this is the 'we pretend to give a shit' section of the store,"

to which I nodded in assent. He went on to further observe that these are the same people who don't even use fair trade coffee!

Second rant: Clothing

This could easily turn into a protracted essay, so I will make a few points. I hate clothing and clothing companies for the following reasons:

-Clothes are far, far too expensive, even though they use cheap slave labour whereby the employees make about 0.3 cents a month making 600 shirts. People complain about the profit margins of other products and services, but clothing is by far the worst.

-The shoddy QUALITY of clothing is something I have noticed, and it has made me indignant lately. Were I to spend 80 dollars (no mean sum) on a pair of pants, there would still be plenty wrong with it; either the material would be no good, or the cut, etc, etc.

-If I lived in a warmer climate, I would do ask Gandhi did: make my own robe everyday

And people wonder why terrorists exist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

As ridiculous as it might seem, making your own clothes is becoming nearly as expensive as buying them.

12:05 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Really? How do you figure? (I've never made clothes so I can't say).
I'm just gonna take a bedsheet and wear that :)

12:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home