The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, January 26, 2006

A Detrimental Education

This should interest some of you. Boy did it bring back memories! I wasn't at all a good student during my high school years, and now I'm a total nerd (but, it must be said, one of those cool nerds). We've all heard the anecdote of Einstein failing elementary school, or something like that. Stephen Hawking was purportedly a "mediocre" graduate student. School's a funny place, but especially high school which (nowadays anyway) doesn't teach anything and certainly doesn't prove anything. Some of the dumbest people I have ever encountered got stellar grades in high school.


Anyway, I was looking for some articles, and I found my grade 11 report cards, which date back to 1997-98. I am including the grades, course titles and comments for your delectation. It is interesting to note the slight improvement towards the end, except math, which I passed by one percent (51) in the following year. Strangely enough, I recall being quite good at physics, earning 80s and 90s until I stopped trying (teenagers are a funny bunch). Funny: when I was growing up, my parents would complaing that I wouldn't read/study enough. By my third and fourth year in university, I was reading/studying too much. Anyway, here's the format: Course - Grade - Comments


First Term:

English - 63 - Work is satisfactory

French (OAC) - 73 - Good progress has been made. Keep it up!

Socal Science - 67 - Works conscientiously and makes a fine contribution to class discussions. Understanding of the content and concepts of this course meets expectations.

German - 75 - Good progress has been made. Keep it up! Keep up the good work.

Mathematics - 52 - Please continue to work hard to improve your mark.

Parenting - 67 - Please continue to work hard.

Gym/Health Education - 43 - More self-discipline and consistency of effort are required.

Chemistry - 71 - Written tests demonstrate a good understanding of course material. Class participation was good.

Average absences - 4 Lates - 2

Second Term:

English - 65 - Must concentrate on improving work habits.

French - 82 - Written work and oral contributions reflect a high degree of comprehension. Excellent effort and attitude. Speaks clearly with a good accent and correct intonation.

Social Science - 71 - Is an enthusiastic student. A pleasure to teach. Well done this term.

German - 77 - (comments same)

Mathematics - 55 - Class time was not well used. Good progress has been made. Keep it up. Extra help is available from the teacher.

Parenting - 79 - Good progress has been made. Keep it up!

Health Education - 50 - Better attendance would likely improve progress. More self-discipline and consistency of effort are required. More attention and participation required in written work.

Chemistry - 71 - Written tests demonstrate a good understanding of course material.

Average absence from classes - 8

I don't know where my OAC (Grade 13) report card went. I simply stopped showing up after February that year :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home