The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Imitatio Homeris

My extremely erudite friend at Laudatortemporisacti recently posted on a title, "Imitatio Homeris," which should be Imitatio Homeri. I think the gaffe occured because the author thought, for whatever reason, that Homer (Homerus in Latin) is a third declension rather than a second declension noun, by analogy with oper. Thus, we have opus=operis and Homer=Homeris (operis and Homeris being the genitive or possessive forms). I think the author thought that Homer, not Homerus, was the Latin name, which, if I'm not incorrect, resembles a third declension noun.
Of course, this is based on my very fundamental, rudimentary, basic, and bare bones understanding of Latin. I know less Latin than most babies, but I wanna be smwart, so there ya go : )

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for the comment on my blog. but i had to delete yours - i'm trying to remain anonymous so i didn't want my discipline identified!

2:21 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Dat's whack :)
Sorry, I didn't know, but I am curious as to why (are you a superhero or something?) :)

4:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i am a superhero. hehe. why? grad school paranoia i guess. also i generally don't like other students from my discipline and i don't want them reading my blog. heehee!

7:48 a.m.  
Blogger Dr J said...

Congrats, RB: See you've been added to RK's blogroll, which puts you in very small company indeed. ;-)

10:04 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Wow, that does place me in very select company! Must have been this latest pseudo-academic post :)
How did RK know about my blog?(must've been you). Gosh, I just realized I never had him in my links. I will correct that now.

1:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home