The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Racial Unknowns

I came across this article from Inside Higher Ed. As some of you, i.e. Dr. J, know, I haven't hopped aboard the postcolonial train or anything like that, so if I'm talking about something race related, it must be interesting! It concerns people who check "unknown" or similar choice on th portion of their application which asks for ethnicity/race. I'm definitely one of the 5 or so percent who do not divulge. I don't reveal my "race" (whatever that means) for several reasons:
  1. It's stupid
  2. The categories are too general
  3. I don't see why there's any reason they should know
  4. What difference does it make

etc etc etc. One thing the article is probably right about is that the majority of those who refuse to answer are white. Given the unpopularity of being white now (not to mention male), this makes sense. IT makes even more sense with me because, though I am Caucasian, I am not really white (I'm not Whitey white Adams), but I'm definitely not Hispanic or Black (sorry, the term African-American is just so wrong in my eyes). As such I definitely do not want to be seen as "just another white kid" (although at elite institutions that's probably a good thing), but at the same time, I don't want to be seen as a "minority." I guess I really am in the middle somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home