The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Frye


Here's a low-res webcam pic of my name tag from the Frye symposium this weekend. I only attended Friday's presentations, which included a keynote address by Alvin Lee, one of the two biggest Frye scholars in North America.

Not sure why I got a name tag as I was not one of the presenters, but it made me feel important :)

I don't really feel like going into the symposium itself at this point, but if anyone wishes, I can tell them about it. I'm still recovering from the wine 'n' cheese that followed, during which I was encouraged by the organizing professor to polish off the wine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Did half a course with Alvin on Frye some years ago. A nice man, very knowledgeable, and not the Frye acolyte some have figured him as. (He was one of NF's grad students years & years ago.) Curious what he'd have said, though I suspect much of it would have to do with the process of Gen-editing the Collected Works.

2:37 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wine. yummy!

4:12 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Yes, J, he spoke of the genesis of and trials and tribulations besetting the complete works priject(which stands at 30 vols, half of which is unpublished material). Unfortunately, his address was rather boring, and I wasn't the only one who thought so. The subject was rather mundane for a scholar of his magnitude, but it is to be expected.

The other presentations were ok: one was fairly boring (not necessarily the subject matter, but the speaker's style), the other was interesting but full of jargon, which was odd for a guy who repeatedly denounced theoretical schools, and the last was the most coherent and interesting, as well as incendiary (attack on Derrida, New Historicism, etc). Although it did make some sweeping generalizations, I thought the point was there, and the speaker's style (he presented an absentee's paper) was very engaging.

Free wine is always yummy. In fact, I felt the moral obligation to drink at least my share. Anything less would be uncivilized and criminal!

7:35 p.m.  
Blogger RT said...

My first pet, a guinea pig, was named after Northrop Frye - "Nester Northrop". He had above average intelligence for a guinea pig.

2:53 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home