The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

April 24, 1915

This post is in memory of the 1.5 million Armenians who died as a result of the Armenian Genocide, which officially began on this date 92 years ago, at the hands of the Ottoman Turks.

I went to the commemoration at Parliament Hill today, which I haven't been to since I was about 15 (yes, us young'uns would make the trek from Toronto, but this time, I was only a 20 minute walk away). The turnout was quite good, and among the speakers were Gilles Duceppe, leader of the Parti Quebecois, who delivered a very genuine and moving speech in which he said, among other things, "Quebec's motto is 'je me souviens.' Today, je me souviens with you." Also present were leaders from the Jewish, Rwandan and Sudanese/Darfurian community, who, as persons from groups who have suffered similar fates, expressed their deepest sympathies.

We may forgive, but we will never forget.

On that note, I must get back to working on Thomas Sprat

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack Sprat could eat no fat.

Di you know that?

Ganz

11:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Buddy,

Lest we forgot. Condoglianze

Ciao

John

11:10 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Yes, I knew of JACK Sprat's predicament, but this is Thomas (who probably couldn't stay away from the fat).

John: Thanks.

11:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home