The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Monday, April 30, 2007

More fun

Given the popularity of my last post on the mystery of the women's room, I am posting another "politically incorrect" video. This is an actual Bugs Bunny cartoon from circa 1944 in which the title character "Nips the nips." Classical cartoon propaganda.

Disclaimer: I did not make this cartoon, nor do I espouse the views expressed therein, and I am not promulgating racist ideology. I am merely offering a specimen of animation from the earlier part of the 20th century to my (mostly) humble readers to demonstrate the sorts of things that were actually produced and are now largely forgotten.

On a side note, I just submitted my last paper of the year. It was on Thomas Sprat's forgotten contribution to a volume of poems on the death of Oliver Cromwell. I surely broke a personal record for footnotes: about 4 pages of those alone!

I wish I had at least a couple of days off, but I must gather my wits and begin a tough course tomorrow on 18th century London, taught by Professor London (no jokes!). Since it is in my field, it is imperative that I do very well. I know the hockey playoffs are on, and I myself am in academic playoff mode!

I just upgraded my internet to 120 KB/sec, so I can actually watch CBC's streaming video. Go Sens!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mr. piouslabours,

In response to my previous posts, I was hoping you would sort out your issues with women because I assumed you genuinely had a good yet misdirected heart.

However, this latest video only solidifies in my mind that you not only have issues with women, but you also have issues regarding race.

I understand you explicitly provide a disclaimer about how you do not condone such material.

However, an educated reader will quickly see that putting up such a "disclaimer" is faceless attempt to mask your true intent of dissemniating hate, especially where you continually show materials hurtful to groups based on gender and race.

Your propensity to advertise offensive materials concerning women clearly shows you enjoy propogating offensive materials to insular groups, and one can only assume that your motivation lies in attaining some sick and twisted pleasure by insulting others who do not accord with your ideals of elitism.

What is next arbilius? A "black joke of the week" to show what people in the deep south think of "coloured" individuals? Or how about Nazi era cartoons depicting semites, to show that people may not like Jews?

I will leave you to your thoughts. But keep in mind, that a mere "disclaimer" does not take away from the message you are advertising.

- a concerned reader

11:39 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear concerned reader,

I have watched you derride the author of this blog for three comments, and frankly, enough is enough.

Arbilius showed a couple of harmless videos. If you don't like them, don't watch them, and don't read arbilius' blog.

Last I remember, arbilius has a right to post whatever video he wants, whenever he wants.

And another thing, who the hell are you to tell him what he can or cannot do?

T

12:04 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Concerned reader: I've had enough. I thought at first that you merely disagreed with me over a misunderstanding, which is fine, but now I can see that you are utterly insane: you clearly have no sense of irony, intent, or disinterested analysis. I suggest you work on that. By your logic, a prof at my old school who teaches a course on such cartoons should be fired!

After all that, if you still have a problem (no one else seems to), no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to read or watch this blog. Please get a life!

If anything, you have a problem of hatred because you see it in everything. Try working on that.

Sincerely,
Piouslabours

1:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home