The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Humorous, literary videos

I am offering two videos today to my faithful readers (all two of you). I assure you they are neither lewd nor vulgar; they are in fact very witty.

The first is a brief skit from Monty Python on the poet McTeagel. I first saw it in my 2nd year, about 5 years ago. I remember disliking it (or "not getting it") the first time, but found it hilarious on a second viewing. It's a humorous send up of the reception of certain poets/artists.


The second is a brief sketch from what appears to be Blackadder Live. I own the recent DVD set, which has every episode including some "hidden" ones, but this is the first time I've seen this.
Warning: the skit can only be appreciated by those who are familiar with Hamlet. If you're not too familar with it, then I suggest having a copy of the famous soliloquy "To be or not to be" from Act III sc. I (or better yet, read the play).

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Faithful readers? Some of us, alas, are rather promiscuous. ;-)

Liked the Shakespeare sketch but thought the Python bit tiresome and clumsy. It's one of those examples of the Python gang filling time for a broadcast, which they often had to do. *shrug*

2:33 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

The python bit is one of the few I actually liked (although it gets less funny each time). I find the "famous" or "well liked" monty python sketches fatuous and a waste of time; it's usually the lesser known ones that are better. For example, I don't think the dead parrot sketch is funny!! It's not funny!

Blackadder was well done: you can see the influence of, say, Monty Python on it, but it's a lot more polished than most other british coms.

4:32 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home