The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Friday, September 15, 2006

Strange Sighting

Laudator tells us Oriana Fallaci has died (John?). His post, interesting per se, reminded me of something I saw yesterday as I was walking down beautiful Elgin Street in Ottawa. I've seen maybe two or three orthodox Muslim women in Ottawa (i.e., the full garb), which is even more conspicuous in Ottawa. Anyway, I saw an older Muslim woman with the full garb getting a light from someone (her son? a stranger?) and smoking a cigarette. As far as I can remember this is the first time I have seen that combination, and to be honest, it looked somewhat amusing. Are orthodox Muslim women even allowed to do that? I'd be surprised.
(If I had photoshop and any artistic talent, I would have doctored a photo, but alas...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home