The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The capital of the nation / Liked my application

Well, looks like it's off to Ottawa in the fall: My status on U Va's website changed to "Deny." The only place I haven't heard from is U Penn, and if one hasn't heard from them by now, there's a 99% chance he's rejected. I really, really thought I had a good shot at U Toronto, Virginia and Texas (the other rejections didn't surprise me). In case anyone needed to be reminded of the insanely competitive, arbitrary nature of Grad Admissions in English, I'm living proof. I'm not the best applicant there ever was, but it's still amazing when someone with my background and numbers can't get in. It has reached a point where people aren't getting into safety schools, so I should be grateful. Incidentally, I the Grad Director at Ottawa spoke to me today: mostly chit-chat, but he told me that he and the committee was impressed with my application and they will be offering an admissions scholarship (which, in total, means that my funding will be comparable with UofT's or Queen's, which is quite good). Most importantly, it's a foot in the door and they do have one person whose work interests me. Maybe this is the "big fish in a small pond" placement I need?? Who knows.
I'm still disappointed, but it could be much, much worse.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

count your blessings you got admitted. you have a chance to prove to all the schools who rejected you that they were wrong to deny you acceptance.

3:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, u of o is a great place. "big fish in a small pond" is good. nothing worse than a big bad impersonal grad school. trust me!

i know it's hard not to be disappointed. but you're right, could be much worse!

relax. regroup. reflect. celebrate!

6:19 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Another Jeremy in our midst? wow, what are the odds.
Thank you for your comments. Yes, the one prof there I mentioned is closer to my interests than most, and, like I said, it's an important foot in the door.
I'm curious though: are you a native of Singapore?

12:14 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Nice to meet you. Curious: how did you find my blog?
I'm assuming you're in English or a related field? Where in Canada will you be going?

12:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home