The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Saturday, November 12, 2005

It's finally come...


Well, November 12 finally came: I wrote the GRE subject test (Literature in English). Phew! Thankfully I was actually (somewhat) healthy this time, unlike the General GRE test I wrote about two weeks ago.

All in all I think I did very well. Despite what reports and websites may tell you, there was not a preponderance of contemporary/20th century literature. Actually, there was surprisingly little of that and a surprising amount of canonical stuff (Pope, Swift, and lots of Chaucer!), which is good for me. I left very few answers blank and made educated guesses on about a dozen questions. As long as I wasn't careless with the Scantron sheet (I hate those things!), I think the result should be quite good (I loathe standardised tests).

I won't find out for another month at least how I do, but I will post as soon as I find out (Graduate academia is so stupid: I must apply to U.S. schools without even knowing how I did on the test. Go figure. I guess Dr. J needs no reminding).

If anyone out there actually reads this and is interesting in finding out more about the subject test, or if someone needs advice on the test, please let me know here or at piouslabours [at] yahoo dot ca.

No more exams, but now I gotta worry about PhD applications. That means transcripts, references, statements. Arrrrgh! Excuse me while I barf.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Best of luck to you! I would love to find out more about the test, and I think I am in trouble. I graduated with a degree in IT and am looking to get into the field of English. I have no idea how schools may make an exception for me (that is, to skip the requirement of having a Bachelor's in English), I was hoping to rely on the fact that my school concentrates on Humanities subjects for 3 years. But aaargh, I'm driving myself nuts. Any advice for an increasingly hopeless English nut like me? :(

Meanwhile, here's a bucket :)

11:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, you must be relieved that it's over! sounds like you did a great job! ugh, grad applications are the worst. stressful and competitive and you never really know when you're supposed to hear back from people. i'm assuming you have mostly january deadlines?

12:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, two December deadlines, two January 2 deadlines, and the rest are either late january or early february.
Yeah, I'm in the process of bothering referees, and I just wrote my first academic CV yesterday (kinda tough if you haven't published anything, but it's there).

12:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home