The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tonson's Miscellanies, vol. ?

Here's a neat quote from the 18th century sage Joseph Addison (this was when Johnson was a toddler):

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. They are but trifles, to be sure, but, scattered along life's pathway, The good they do is inconceivable.

This is more or less my practice. Though I may not genuinely mean it when I ask a cashier how they are doin', nevertheless, as one who had the misfortune of working in retail for years, I know how much of a difference it can make in one's day (the logic is very much like Kant's categorical imperative).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home