The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Up in Smoke

Here again is an old observation I made a few years ago but have only imparted to those closest to me.

Stoners (i.e., those who not only smoke marijuana on a regular basis but take it quite seriously) are the smartest people in the world. Let me explain:

Granted we all know of the numbing effects of this narcotic, and concomitant habits (general listlessness, etc). However, I've noticed that hardcore stoners are very intelligent and, at least when it comes to weed related matters, can be very scientific and creative. I once knew a guy who told me he could fashion a bong out of the most elementary parts, such as a rubber band, a toothpick, and an empty aluminum can. I've also heard stories of prisoners who have fashioned similar devices using similarly crude tools. Thus hardcore stoners are like McGuyver, the man who could make an atomic bomb out of a matchbook, a pencil, and some ramen noodles (I exaggerate, but you get the point).

I was watching an episode of Trailer Park Boys today for the first time in two years, and Ricky, the inveterate stoner, prior to taking off on a road trip, placed some fresh marijuana on the engine of his car and suggested that "it'll vaporize this shit and get us stoned on the way there." No sober person I know of could think of such applications.

Thus I submit to you that, given their creativity under duress and under great exigency, hardcore stoners are among the most intelligent and resourceful people on the planet. If only they could apply their gifts to more positive, far-reaching matters, all the problems of the world, including hunger and poverty, could be solved.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hm. Well I can tell you that I have many chronics in my life and I think I would only call two of them intelligent in a noteworthy way:

1. My 30-something brother who never finished highschool but who can re-engineer bicycles, play anything he hears by ear immaculately after one mere listen and reads Chomsky for fun;

2. My partner, who wasn't quite chronic but pretty hardcore when we first met; he's getting his PhD in Physics and has presented a paper at Cambridge.

Perhaps you may have something there, A!

9:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home