The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Tonson's miscellanies, vol. III

In this (long awaited) edition:

-my DVD works
-Bums
-Quotidian (for me) minutiae

-My parents gave me a TV that was lying around the house and a brand new DVD player when I visited them in Toronto last weekend. After a disastrous bus trip back, I was annoyed (to say the least) when I noticed that the TV worked fine, but the DVD player was defective. I had to make the trip to Ballsmart (Walmart), but luckily my old neighbour offered to drive me.
I was relieved to find out that this particular Walmart was fairly tranquil (on a sunday), whereas the ones in Toronto make Milton's hell look like a picnic. Exchanging the defective item was very easy: in fact, the woman didn't even look in the box to make sure the unit was inside! Now I have a sleek Samsung which cost 40 dollars less, so with the money I saved, I got a fan (which I desperately need nowadays) and a universal remote control. As luck would have it, they all work! Hallelujah!

-I made an observation several years ago with respect to bums, but have never promulgated it beyond a few close friends: why do some bums insist on wearing enormous parkas when it's 30 degrees celsius outside? Granted, a small minority do this: I believe it's a sign for only those dedicated bums.

-My 18th century class is going well, but I am so burnt out and discouraged at this point, I can barely be bothered to work on my seminar for this week (on Inchbald's /Nature and Art/), much less the conference paper at the end. In any case, there are only 3 sessions left in what is my last class for ever! Can't wait. I have some projects I can't wait to get going on. More on these as they develop.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the homeless going to park their parkas? The coatcheck at the Holiday Inn?

t

6:27 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

good point: but do you have to WEAR one when it's too hot for a t-shirt?

7:48 p.m.  
Blogger Dr J said...

Burnt-out and discouraged: Ah, the force is strong with this one.... ;-)

9:50 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wearing parkas in summer and t-shirts in winter is one of the flags of schizophrenia. Some schizophrenics have whacked internal thermometres (although I can't remember if this is due to the disease itself or if it's one of the common drug cocktails they need to take--like the slow ambling shuffle-walk).

9:05 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

had no idea about the schizophrenic thermometer, and yes, the walk is also characteristic.

10:19 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post is a bum-thology

t

6:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home