The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Monday, June 25, 2007

More from Moore

Though I'm still very much in caveman mode, I managed to watch Michael Moore's new doc Sicko online, but Mr. Moore has publicly stated that he has no problem with people watching this film since the object of it is not to make money but to raise awareness (and who am I to argue?).

I'm somewhat on the fence with Mr. Moore: I enjoy all his documentaries, but I thought that, as noble as Fahrenheit 911 was, it suffered from exaggeration and specious reasoning. I must say though that his latest film shows some maturation and development. A friend of mine who is no fan of Moore liked the film very much, and said that it was far less preachy than his last efforts, an assessment I found myself agreeing with.

Moore's newest documentary tackles the healthcare system (or lack thereof) in the United States. Just when you think it's going to be about the poor 1/6 of the population who do not have health insurance, Moore surprises you: it's about the 250 million who have health insurance.

Though I rarely require medical facilities or pharmaceuticals (knock on wood), I'm still glad that I live in Canada. It is not so much the fact that free healthcare is available, but rather the different philosophies of these governments. Unfortunately, in the U.S., the government has made it clear that they do not give a rat's ass if you live or die, unless you are a billionaire. Countries like Canada, France, England, and Cuba (all of which appear in the film) seem to have far more of a social conscience when it comes to their citizens, much less the those of other countries. The problem is that, despite what we all think, the world's most powerful nation is not run by elected officials: it is really run by multi-national corporations, including pharmaceutical giants. No wonder many of the problems that we find in the U.S. are utterly or nearly non-existent in other countries.

Radix malorum est cupiditas (greed is the root of all evil) could very well have been the epigraph to this film; I highly recommend seeing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home