The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, September 06, 2007

First time for everything, vol. I

Back from a much needed trip back home. I have returned fresh and full of vigour, just in time for comps.

Now on to the post.

I never though I would say this in a million years, but here goes:

"For the upcoming provincial (Ontario) election in October, I will most likely be voting for Dalton McGuinty because he is the saner candidate."

Allow me to explain:

Let me say outright that I am no fan of McGuinty. I know politicians lie through their teeth, but this guy's ridiculous. However, there are two reasons why I will most likely vote for him rather than the Conservative candidate, John Tory. 1) I'm not normally scared of conservatives--Stephen Harper is a softie, in my opinion--but John Tory scares the living hell out of me. I think he would probably bring back some sort of fascism.
2) More importantly, John Tory is all for establishing publicly funded religious (or "faith based") schools in the province. I am against this to no end, and happen to agree with McGuinty that this is a bad, bad idea. Yes, I'm aware that McGuinty is somewhat hypocritical since his children attend Catholic school, but there's no sense in making an undesirable situation palpably worse.

Another reason I will most certainly go to the polls in October is the referendum. Voters will also be asked whether they would like to keep the current voting process or switch to proportional representation. I am in favour of the latter, but I have a feeling it will not fly because most people simply won't understand it and are afraid of change.

More on this as it develops.

1 Comments:

Blogger RT said...

That's the right decision for sure.

There's a bizarre asymmetry between the provincial conservatives in favour of publicly funding religious schools and the federal government conservatives opposing the elections canada decision which allows women to not have to show their face to vote. If the former happens the opposition the latter has seen will be less likely.

11:18 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home