The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Friday, April 21, 2006

Notes from the underground

Just a couple of notes to pass off today:

--They finally, finally, finally did it: they fired Pat Quinn, something I've been talking about since at least 2001. Nothing personal against him, but not only did he totally botch team Canada (how do you lose with those players), he's been questionable with the Leafs. I draw your attention to a very simple analogy: if Jacques Martin, who built the Ottawa Senators from scratch into a serious cup contender, got fired for doing what he did, then Quinn should be in jail (ed., I haven't really watched hockey since October, but I feel vindicated).

--Stephen Harper may not have been in office very long, and he already has his critics (a Canadian tradition), but I can safely say that he's done at least one thing right: publicly acknowledged the Genocide of 1915. The Canadian Parliament passed Motion 380, a motion to recognize the Genocide, which passed very easily. Then Prime Minister Martin refused to acknowledge the fact, which made me believe that this wasn't a democracy after all; then again, expecting ethics or principle from Liberals is like expecting a prostitute to smile at you genuinely: it could happen, but it's not very likely. (Sorry that's the best I can do right now)

--I'm off to Queen's Park (Ontario's Legislature) to participate in the yearly candlelight vigil commemorating the events of 1915 later today. You might see me on the news (I'm usually on the news for bad reasons :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Psycgirl said...

Yes, but he's still done more bad than good so far. Stupid Harper.

8:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were you on tv? i missed the news.

8:50 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Ah, no matter who gets elected, the complaints start before the dude has done anything. It's a canadian tradition :)

Zelda: I don't know if I was on TV, but I didn't see any news cameras. Unfortunately, in this city/country/society, a cat stuck in a tree is more important news.

10:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home