The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Man and his symbols

I had a strange couple of dreams last night (that's the last time I read Jung before I go to sleep), one of which wasn't a nightmare but was nevertheless disconcerting. [Incidentally, my dreams lately have not been very symbolic: to use the nomenclature from Frye's Great Code, which I'm re-reading, my dreams belong to the descriptive or vulgar phase of language, whereas dreams typically belong to the metaphorical.]

I dreamt that I was in my 3rd year English class "Literary Non-fiction," which I took back in 2002-2003. That year was my "break out" year, and I still remember it with great fondness. Anyway, I dreamt that I was in that class (taught by Julia Creet, whom some of you will know), except that I was older (i.e., 24, not 21). What scared me was that, although it was a class I thoroughly enjoyed back then and is symbolically significant for me, I saw that I was in the class but wasn't enthusiastic at all. In fact, I hadn't done some of the work. This may sound bizarre or even downright funny to some of you, but it is significant for me, especially since I don't feel I have the same elan I had in my 3rd year. I'm sure this is normal: after all, I still love what I do but I don't have the same zeal for it that I used to. I sometimes wonder whether I was "smarter" or knew more then, but it's clear that's not it, at least I hope it's not :)

8 Comments:

Blogger tedt said...

Your dream signifies one of two things a)you need to expand your horizons and/or b) you are now jaded.

With regards to a), there is nothing as limiting as going back and reliving the past. This reason accounts for your lack of diligence preparing for class; you need a challenge in order to prepare for class

With regards to b), you might now be jaded since you see the world through the eyes of a 24 year old instead of a 21 year old. The difference in age is significant. You have also been reading alot of Orwell recently too. Your lack of enthusiasm may support your jaded feel to your field of study, or what you have learned in the past.

Option c) is you are both.

Good luck

2:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top."
~Virginia Woolf

8:34 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Anon, Even I knew that :)

10:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I selected the quote because it seemed appropriate to your post(complimentary if you wish to call it so).

PS- When did "TedT" become Joseph from the Old Test.

11:42 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

haha, I dunno: sometime between last night and this morning.

12:43 p.m.  
Blogger Dr J said...

You were so much younger then,
You're Junger than that now???
;-)

11:36 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

ugh, terrible :)

1:17 p.m.  
Blogger Dr J said...

You expected anything less? (Insert evil grimace here.)

6:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home