The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Friday, February 01, 2008

New site and Simpsons

First, here's a funny site I discovered this morning. Don't ask me what the name means because I don't know. Here's a particularly funny and, for the most part, true article. It's funny how our lives are filled with "types" as opposed to complex characters.

I watched the most recent episode of the Simpsons yesterday ("That 90s show"), and I must say I was very impressed. I was one of the many people who would say that the Simpsons is finished and hasn't been funny in over a decade. However, after viewing some recent episodes, I've come to the conclusion that the Simpsons really deserves credit. For a show that's been on the air for nineteen (count 'em, nineteen!) seasons, it is still usually quite good. Conversely, Family Guy has been on the air for a mere six years and is, in my opinion, finished, though I'll still watch it from time to time.

I was having a discussion with a couple of friends the other night about the film Dazed and Confused, a high school 1970s film. Without knowing much about the film, I guessed that it was made during the early-mid nineties, which my friends disagreed with. When we discovered that it was actually made in 1993, my friends asked how I knew it, and I told them that sufficient time must elapse for a generational nostalgia to take hold. For example, Happy Days took place in the 1950s but was made in the late 70s, and the successful That 70s Show debuted in the mid 1990s. All this is to say that in a few years we will witness nostalgia for the 90s, and the Simpsons episode is indicative of this shift. I went to high school in the 90s an outcast, but I find myself thinking of the period with some fondness (that may have something to do with comps).

In addition, this episode was an hilarious satire on the excesses of liberal, post-structural thought, and it takes some jabs at academia in general, which I certainly enjoyed and can think of at least one other person who would get a kick out of it. For instance, when Marge asks her professor if he think that Western scientists have marginalized the contributions of those in the third world, he replies "the answer is, OF COURSE!".

To view the episode, follow this link. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home