The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Thursday, December 20, 2007

I've heard of Stockholm Syndrome, but...

I was having a drink with the prof I TAed for this term (cool guy), and he mentioned something very bizarre. Apparently, there is a phenomenon in psychological circles known as "Paris Syndrome" which causes a small percentage of tourists to Paris to suffer from shock or even hallucinations. Interestingly, and as far as I can tell, it only affects the Japanese. The syndrome is caused no doubt in part (if not in whole) by the discrepancy between idealized images of Paris and the reality tourists are struck with.

I've never been to Paris myself, and I hope I do go someday, but most people I know who have gone came back with less than flattering things to say about it.

Reminds me of Oscar Wilde's witticism on the superiority of art over nature, which is very apt in the current context: the whole of Japan is a pure invention. There is no such country, there are no such people.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaha
yup Paris is ugly
I dont know why pple get so hyped up about it anyways
peuh
much nicer cities all around it
maybe i should shut up since i'll be in 4 days :-)

my boss is not at work today which sucks cuz i showed up at 7:30 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
could have slept and came in at 10am since it does not seem she gives a shit about my hours
f*&k!
lol i'm ranting on your blog

9:08 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Do i get paid by the hour or the word to listen? :-)

11:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe i'll start one of those diary blogs huh? So i can share with the whole world my rants and bitchings and fantastic events such as waking up, bad hair days, days when i get my period, times when I'm bored at work enough to blog (*cough*) when i miss my bf or my dog...
IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!! haha
resolution '08 - start annoying blog that noone will read becuz after all I AM THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE WORLD
bloggers are narcissistic egomaniacs lol

2:40 p.m.  
Blogger RT said...

I am impressed with the Japanese once again! Nowhere else on earth would we get game show concepts like human tetris or release the lizard at the women's heads. And a kind of cognitive dissonance they experience as tourists that leads them to hallucinate? No other tourists are that intense. Respect.

4:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home