The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Update

We are not now that strength which in the old days /Moved earth and heaven


I am still playing the waiting game with universities, though I expect to start hearing back very soon. One thing I know for sure is that U Virginia, my top choice, has been rejecting people this week, and so far I haven't heard back. My online status still says "pending", so that's a bit of (potentially) good news. U Penn and U of Toronto start accepting people next week I believe. I'll keep y'all posted as soon as I hear something. I am not saying this only because I have been through the process, but even those who are in their PhDs in English at this moment will tell you that getting in is a total crapshoot. I also can't think of any program more competitive (maybe Psych).

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Less competitive methinks than stunningly arbitrary (infer "irrational" if you wish), so buck up and accept things in these terms: acceptance is an opportunity to proceed, rejection an opportunity to shrug.

5:51 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Of course, I forgot that one key epithet, arbitrary! It's should be no wonder that English decisions take the longest (people in most other programs have, for the most part, already heard back).
No matter how much one prepares himself for it, rejection is always painful. I'm hoping when I do get rejected I'll have at least one good acceptance to offset it.

8:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! u virginia tells you online? now that's progress i guess. well, i've been thinking about you lots and i hope you get your top choice and/or get to choose from several - keep us posted!

11:39 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Thanks for the kind words.
Yeah, some programs actually email you decisions, but because more and more applications are done online, most schools give you the option of at least seeing whether a decision has been reached.
Yeah, I really hope I get to choose; that would be nice.

1:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home