The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Psycho German Kid

This video is truly synaesthetic, though not in the Keatsian sense of the word. Actually, it would probably be more accurate to describe it as synpathetic (not sympathetic) or polypathetic since it is funny, sad and scary all at once.

One a more pleasant and austere note, I just picked up A.C. Bradley's Oxford Lectures on Poetry, originally published in (I believe) 1909. It is indeed a fascinating experience to read very early criticism (the academic study of English literature/poetry, at least in the English speaking world, was still in it's infancy back then). It's interesting to see just how much tastes and criticial issues have changed, to say nothing of the fact that many famous and, indeed, almost unconscious pronouncements or judgements on poems and authors that we hold go back to these early critics.
Of course the book is not available to buy (and that kinda defeats the point since it has been in the public domain for over a decade); looks like it's good ol' illegal photocopying for me.
This leads me to a question I asked myself in the summer, when I was photocopying volume 2 of J.P. Ker's edition of Essays of John Dryden, first publushed in 1901 (needless to say, long out of print). Here it is: is it still illegal to photocopy a book that has been out of print since, say, the 1960s? If yes, why the hell so?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a Translation.

10:18 a.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Danke, LEx. Das ist sehr gut! (I didn't realize people actually read my blog).

11:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home