The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What a day in politics

Well, I cast my ballot today at about 3:30 pm EST. After determining that I had originally moved here from Toronto, the women working the front desk asked hesitatingly if I was a leaf fan, to which I replied "no, they suck!" This drew some hearty, approving laughter.

I don't understand people who are so secretive of their electoral practices, so let me set the record straight: I voted NDP (for the first time) and in favour of the electoral referendum.

Predictions: Dalton McSquinty (Dr J's coinage) will remain PM of the province, and the mixed member proportional referendum will unfortunately be defeated by a large margin. I'm fairly certain the latter will happen because a) most people simply don't know what the referendum is all about, and b) those who do know will find it uncertain and intimidating. People generally fear change.

In other political news, the House Foreign Affairs Committee passed Resolution 106 which recognized the massacre of the Armenians in 1915 as genocide. Though I'm sure there are people celebrating (as well as others who are less than thrilled), I'm not holding my breath because the resolution must now be put up for a vote in Congress, which I doubt will pass. Were it to pass in Congress, either Mr. Bush or the Senate will get in the way.

On this note, I find Turkey's thinly-veiled threats to the US risible. The only thing funnier is the US administration's serious acknowledgment of them. First, now that the Cold War is over, Turkey is no longer the indispensable ally it once was. Not only this, Turkey demonstrated in 2003 that it is a less than reliable one. Third, only the stronger of two countries is in any position to make threats. The US can threaten Turkey or just about any other nation, but it doesn't work the other way around, and Turkey needs the US more than the US needs Turkey. Finally, since when is the US scared to "offend" anyone? Isn't this the same US that invades other countries on a whim?

1 Comments:

Blogger Lapa said...

TOP PORTUGUESE LANGUAGE UNIVERSAL WRITER: CRISTOVAO DE AGUIAR

(PASSANGER IN TRANSIT)

BOOKS:

“PASSAGEIRO EM TRÂNSITO” ; “RAIZ COMOVIDA”; “RELAÇÃO DE
BORDO”; “MARILHA”; “A TABUADA DO TEMPO”; BRAÇO TATUADO”; “MIGUEL TORGA O LAVRADOR DAS LETRAS”

He has, also, translated into Portuguese the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.

He has been awarded several prizes.

Don't forget the name of this great author, you'll be hearing of him soon.


Please, add blog to your favourites,


Thanks for visiting.
VALE A PENA OBRIGADO ANGOLA

3:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home