The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Lotsa Money


The Bank of England has announced that it will place the portrait of Adam Smith on upcoming 20 pound notes. Not only is this of interest to me because my thesis will in all likelihood be on him, but it also marks the first time a Scot has appeared on English paper money.

It is worth noting, despite what the article said, that Smith was not a bona fide economist; in fact, some at the time claimed he had no business writing Wealth of Nations. In his own lifetime, he was better known for his moral philosophy, especially is Theory of Moral Sentiments.

There will be a conference at Oxford on the occasion of the 250th anniversary of the publication of the latter in January, 2009. Abstracts are due this September, however, so I will try to produce something decent by then.
----------------
Oh, I almost forgot: I received a phone call yesterday informing me that my application for tenancy of an apartment building here (near Byward Market) was approved, so I'm moving out May 1! All things considered, the place is very decent: it's a bachelor apartment seconds away from the Market, and utilities are included. The only drag is that I have to furnish the place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr J said...

Good luck with the move. But, dare I ask, why Smith? Why not the original-- and estimable-- Dr J? Or someone more manifestly literary? Why not Dryden or Pope or Swift, or--- well, insert name here?

BTW: the Blogger code below to enter this comment is "qrfux." Oh, so York. ;-)

6:44 p.m.  
Blogger Pious Labours said...

Quite simply because I don't know what NEW to say about Dryden, Pope, or Swift, whereas I have a very good, original idea for Smith, which would, if all goes well, make me THE Adam Smith expert in an English dept. He remains untapped.

Speaking of which, I recently busted my balls on a presentation on /Absalom and Achitophel/ because i had to say sometihing new about it. In the end I think I did (whether it's valid or not is for the profs to decide).

11:24 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home