The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Saturday, August 04, 2007

For Adults Only

Reading the Thousand and One Nights (or Arabian Nights), I was struck by the comical and frank depictions of sex, especially in the tale of "Ma'aruf the Cobbler." One part of this tale is particularly colourful in its sexual metaphors ("threading a needle," for instance). I believe, though, that this takes the biscuit: the act of coitus is referred to as "that hour when men forget their mothers." I think I'll use that from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home