The Literary Salon

A free salon wherein patrons and passers-by may view or contribute ideas on literary and generally intellectual matters. The blog will strive to maintain its commitment to wit, humour and perspicuous analysis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, now Ottawa, Ont, Canada

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Sorry Dryden!



I was photocopying some Dryden when I discovered, contrary to what I've written in my previous post on Dryden's languages, that he does actually cite some original Greek. You won't find it in any of his famous works such as Essay of Dramatick Poesie or On the Original and Progress of Satire. It is in an early prose work entitled Examen Poeticum, and he actually cites Homer in the original Greek. Normally when he cites Homer, he doesn't use Greek quotations, but in this case, he does. I doubt whether this proves his knowledge of Greek (after all, I don't know Greek but I can read it), but it is safe to say he had some knowledge of it. Why he would not make more use of it is beyond me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home